The dictionary meaning of Web hosting is the activity or business of providing storage space and access for websites. A web host, or web hosting service provider, is a business that provides the technologies and services needed for the website or webpage to be viewed on the Internet. Web host stores all the pages of your website and makes them available to computers connected to the Internet. Web hosting makes it possible for visitors to view your site's content when they type in your domain name.
How does web hosting work?
First of all, anyone who wants to buy a domain has to contact the hosting provider to get the domain. When you purchase a web hosting service you’re essentially buying yourself space to store your website’s files. These files can then be accessed by a web browser, in order for your website to be live on the internet. Most of the people rent out server space from a third-party web hosting company like Hostgator, Go daddy, and so on. The client can access the files or the website from any device from the client's browser. There are different types of Webhosting services available in Nepal that you can use for hosting websites.
Web Hosting consists of many layers and parts. Some of them are discussed below:
- Data Storage: Data Storage, also known as web space or disk space, generally refers to the amount of storage on a web server that is allocated to website owners by the web hosting companies.
- Database: A database is a collection of information that is organized so that it can be easily accessed, managed, and updated.
- Database Security: Database security includes prevention from, DDoS attacks, data corruption, and even malware such as viruses. Database security also includes encryption that transforms data stored in a database into "ciphertext" that is incomprehensible without first being decrypted.
- Servers: A server is a computer designed to process requests and deliver data to another computer over the internet or a local network. There are many servers available in web hosting. Some of them are Web server, Email server, FTP Server, Identity Server.
- Cloud Storage: Cloud storage is a model of computer data storage in which the digital data is stored in logical pools. The physical storage spans multiple servers (sometimes in multiple locations), and the physical environment is typically owned and managed by a hosting company.
- File Hosting: A file hosting service, cloud storage service, online file storage provider, or cyberlocker is an internet hosting service specifically designed to host user files.